This past summer, I was given the opportunity to renovate my library. This came to all of us as a surprise- we were planning on renovating one room, and that one room ballooned into a (much needed) major overhaul. Here are some preliminary photos.
This was the previous 5th floor entrance:
The 5th floor is the main thoroughfare of our college- yet this was a secondary entrance. It was dark, foreboding, and often locked (since it was a secondary entrance).
For years, we had been trying to make students come downstairs to the 4th floor main entrance with signs of all types. Finally, we realized- why don’t we just move upstairs to where they are? We targeted the services we felt needed to be closet to the students and moved them, and we knocked out an office that was between the walkway and the door. Now we have circulation, reference and computers in close proximity to the main entrance, which looks like this:
The room (which was our classroom- that is moving to the 4th floor, to be completed January 2011) looked like this before:
It now looks like this:
and the back hallway (which connects the main entrance to the Collaboration Studio) before:
Changes include: MCT flooring (acoustic, no-wax, easy to maintain) and new paint. We also rearranged the artwork to coordinate with the new color scheme, located matching chairs for the back hallway, and took down those ugly curtains.
Next post: the Collaboration Studio.